Just the other day I wrote here about goals, or rather about my failed attempt at the goals I had set for myself in 2016. Here we are, the 2nd day of January, and I have once again written out my goals for the upcoming year. Here’s the thing though, I made a point to make them more accomplish-able. Last year I specifically promised myself to finish 2 of my books I am writing. I did not. Yeah, I had writer’s block, and some family drama that sucked my creativity and motivation away, then stomped on it and promptly shoved it down a black hole. So instead, I wrote 1. Write OFTEN, and consistently. Because really, isn’t that what is important here? That as a writer, I am WRITING? (Maybe I should make one about not using CAPS so often…)
2. Continue working on my Social Media presence. This is simply a continuation from last year. I have my facebook page, which I post links to the posts I write here, and update my very, VERY (there are those CAPS again) slow progress. I also have a Twitter account, which sadly I use once every 2-3 months. But hey! At least I am not overusing it right? I would say Instagram, but my daughter has taken over my phone with her account for now and until I upgrade and she moves on to her brother’s phone, well, I am without. And honestly, I am not sure how having a stellar IG account will bring readers to my books. Will it? Do you IG as a writer? (I am assuming someone out there who writes might be reading this and answer me… I love comments!)
Writing more posts here, is the obvious first step to building an SM presence. See goal 1. But, what are other ways I can build a fan base? Besides finishing and publishing a book. How does one go about improving and building a blog readership? Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? That would be awesome, thanks.
3. I applied to college. Yes, I have already been to college. I graduated Cosmetology school thankyouverymuch. However, goals being what they are, what I wanted to be when I grew up changed. So off to college, I decided to go. Applied. And now waiting. See, I have to also be accepted. It is taking forever, in case you are wondering. Also, I am not patient.
4. I NEED to be more structured and organized with my time and my life in general. I make plans, then immediately forget I made said plans. I commit to something, do well for about 1-2 weeks, then get busy, and again, forget. Pinterest has a ton of ideas on how to be more organized, how to use a planner, where to buy the planner, and how to decorate and prettify the planner. Spending hours on Pinterest reading and pinning how to be more organized might actually be keeping me from accomplishing this particular goal. (back up goal: quit Pinterest)
5. This one is relatable to almost every other goal. Be more consistent. Write more, work out on a daily basis, finish what I commit to, on and on and on. Just do what I set out to do! And then keep doing it.
6. Not sure if I have mentioned before, but besides becoming a published author, I also want to own a cafe and bookshop. I love baking, and I do some from home for profit. So hopefully, 2017 will see my customer base for what I bake grow. This always makes me nervous, as I am one person and am a bit afraid of becoming overwhelmed and taking on too much. And then not being able to complete an order, or the quality would suffer. I have a tendency to be an overachiever. Somehow or another, all those career goals tie together. YES, they do. Don’t argue with me.
7. Learn a new skill. This could be anything. Rock climbing, water skiing, (not really that one, just throwing it in there) formatting a blog. Perhaps tackling the scary world of fondant cake decorating. Or math. Now wouldn’t that be useful? As long as it isn’t common core, I’m good. It’s important to learn something new every now and then. Hopefully, I learn one or two new things in 2017!
8. And because every list needs a fun goal, VEGAS. I have NEVER been to Vegas. Now, I don’t gamble, it makes me so sad to watch people fritter away what you just know is their rent money, alimony, car payment, grocery money. I want to run up to them and urge them to Stop! You’re never going to hit it big! This year is a rather “big” birthday year for me, so my goal is to take a girls trip to celebrate it right! I want the food, the dancing, I want to see shows, and chill by an insane pool.
There you have it. Not a huge overwhelming list, but doable. Goals that will hopefully cause some growth, and help me become a better person. I would love to finish 2017 out by pulling this list back out and being able to draw a line through each one on this list. How about you? Do you make a list of goals at the beginning of each year? How have you done in the past accomplishing them?
Much Love ❤